Layered Chhole Pie with a Waffle Fries Crust
What’s your comfort food like? Are you a mac and cheese kind of a guy or that greasy slice of pizza sort of a person? Grilled cheese, milk shake, wada pao, donuts, biryani, falafel or a giant piece of chocolate cake kinda girl?
I suffer from some extreme bouts of food addictions from time to time. Over the years, my friends and familyhave caught me either drinking a bottle of salsa straight up (neat, no rocks), or found me snacking on a jar of pickled okra and wondering if I’m knocked up (answer is no), or seen me mix my chai & coffee on the days I can’t decide which one I rather have or then heard me confessing about my kimchi obsession. These addictions, obnoxious as they may sound, end up comforting me in a very strange sort of a way!
Back at home in Bombay (not Mumbai),whenever I think of comfort food, I think of chaat (or maa ke haath ka khana) but mostly chaat that my mom makes! But unfortunately I’m not planning on visiting her for a while now, so I tried putting a few of my favorite sinful foods together and made a giant delicious savory & spicy pie fully loaded with my kind of comfort! Want some?
Ingredients for Chhole Pie
- 1/2 Bag of frozen waffle fries for the crust
- Chhole: 2 cups *
- Pickled onions: 1 cup**
- Tomato: 1 small, chopped
- Romaine lettuce: 1/2 bunch, torn into tiny chunks
- Yogurt : 1/2 cup, lightly beaten and sweetened with sugar. (according to taste, think dahi poori)
- Grated cheese: 1/2 cup (I used cheddar, but use whatever you prefer)
- Bhel mix: 1 cup (for garnish & crunch)
* My Instant chhole Recipe : In a saucepan, heat a tbsp of oil/ghee and fry a pinch of cumin seeds. Saute 1 finely chopped onion. Once it turns golden brown, add 1 tbsp of ginger-garlic paste. Then add 2 chopped tomatoes. Add salt, 1/2 tsp turmeric, 1 tbsp paprika, 1/2 tsp cayenne, 1 tbsp cumin-coriander powder, 1 tbsp chhole masala, 4 to 5 tbsp powdered roasted pomegranate seeds. Cook this down to a paste. Add 1 can chickpeas (washed & drained). Add about 1/2 cup water and let it simmer. Add 1/2 cup chopped cilantro. Cook for about 5 minutes till it’s thick and semi-dry.
(You could easily swap this for the packaged chhole available in most grocery stores.)
** Pickled onions: Slice1 small white onion. Add salt, 1 tbsp paprika and 2 tbsp vinegar. Mix and let it sit for at least 4 hours.
Preparation for the Chhole Pie
(👆🏼Don’t forget to check outthe picture trail)
- Preheat the oven to 425 F. In a greased pie dish or skillet, arrange the frozen waffle fries in a single layer forming a crust. Bake for about 20-22 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and layer with the prepared chhole , pickled onions, tomatoes, lettuce, yogurt, cheese and then finally top it with the bhel mix.
- Bake again in the oven for about 7-10 minutes until the cheese melts and the pie is warmed through.
- Pig out!!
Some of the products I used 👇🏼
2 thoughts on “My Not-so-American Pie! ”
Will try & mix tea & coffee the next time. Thank you for a probable elixir. As for the chole pie, I so wish I could get this for the evening grub tonight.
I promise you, once you initially get over the absurdity of the mix… It’s very addictive. And u can blame it on caffeine 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person