Green Lentils (French) & Brown Rice Dosa with Broccoli Slaw Thoran
Green lentils are NOT the same as split mung dal, just so we’re clear. They resemble whole masoor but are obviously green and not brown. (Moving on)
It’s the last and final week of summer vacation (finally!!!!) I’m obviously feeling pretty guilty about wanting to send my child off to school like…yesterday. So this is me making up for it. Clearly he loves Dosa and he loves it more when I make it. After having my million different non-authentic-yet-very-healthy-quick-and-tasty versions of dosas, he probably won’t be able to tell a real one if it smacked him in the face but that’s fine. (Like you’ve never manipulated your child)
This one in particular was his favorite because I served it with some “broccoli slaw” thoran. Ya, my little oddball is slightly obsessed with his veggies. Most of the ingredients in this recipe came from Whole Foods and took less than 2 hours to get plated.
Ingredients (Dosa batter)
- 2 parts soaked green lentils (measured after soaking for an hour)
- 1 part soaked long grain brown rice (measured after soaking for 30 mins)
- Salt to taste
- Cumin powder 1/2 – 1 tsp
- Paprika powder 1/2 – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
- Blend everything together to a very smooth paste. (I used a ninja mixer.) Grainy batter won’t make decent dosas, so smoother the better.
- No need for fermentation. I used the batter immediately.
- Watch a Dosa making YouTube video if you’re a first timer. It’s basically like making a crepe, but I insist you watch & learn.
- Butter/oil helps with the texture but I used just a tsp of it and the Dosa turned out pretty crispy so avoid using the whole stick. (We’re going with healthy here)
Ingredients (broccoli slaw thoran)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds (don’t stress if u can’t find it)
- 1/2 cup dry unsweetened shredded coconut (got mine from Whole Foods)
- 1 package broccoli slaw (got mine from Whole Foods)
- Paprika powder
- Cumin powder
- Turmeric powder
- Splash of lime juice
- Chopped cilantro for garnish
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the seeds.
- Once they start crackling, add the coconut and sauté until it’s golden brown.
- Add the broccoli slaw, spices & seasoning and sauté for a couple minutes. I like the texture slightly crunchy and this slaw mix can seriously over cook pretty fast.
- Throw in some lime and cilantro and serve with the Dosa.
One thought on “Dosa version 6.0”
Your dosa looks so beautiful & crispy !