Masala Chai Mug Cake
I’m a coffee kinda person. A black cup of extra strong coffee kinda person. But when you leave the warmth of Bombay and land in the sub-zero temperatures of NYC, even the non-sentimental ones like me start dreaming of “Joginder ke haath ki garam Chai”! And throw in a common cold in that equation (seriously, a math related example?) plus a little bit of PMS (ok maybe not a little) and the next thing you’re coming up with the perfect mug cake a hungry soul can ask for! Try it yourself!
- 2 tbsp butter (room temperature)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp unsweetened masala Chai (extra strong made with whole milk)
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp Chai masala
- Cooking spray for the Mug
- whisk all the wet ingredients in a bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients and gently mix till the batter is lump free. (Gently if you want a soft cake)
- Spray a microwave safe mug with cooking spray. (Or grease it the old fashioned way, I don’t mind)
- Pour the batter in the mug.
- Microwave it for 110 seconds. (90 if you like a runny center)
- Serve hot with a scoop of your favorite vanilla ice cream/ whipped cream.