Tobblerone Mini Cake
The only thing that’s more important than chocolates, are my birthdays. That’s the way it’s always been and I’m guessing if it hasn’t changed in 37 years, why bother now?
I’ve been so busy whipping up cakes & loaves for my brand new baby “Lady in Bread“, that now when it’s time to bake my own special something, I barely have some energy left for anything other than cupcakes. With cupcakes there’s no pressure of perfection! (Lesser washing & cleaning too)
But then it’s my birthday, and ordinary chocolate cupcakes just don’t shout out Grishma! So I added a little bit of crazy & a little bit of drama with a pinch of glamor to it. Yup, now that’s me!
I also refuse to call these cupcakes. I’m going to call them mini cakes, because they may be little but they’re just as delicious & just as important and remember it’s my birthday, my blog & my rules! Oh and because I used a special cake batter to make these and they are so darn dense and gooey, they are definitely a step up from boring old cupcakes.
Last but not the least, they’ve each got aheart of tobblerone, chocolate ganache topping made with tobblerone and of course topped with a little more yes, you guessed it, tobblerone!
Ingredients (for mini cakes 👉🏼makes 18 – 24)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2/3 cup Dutch-process cocoa
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup yogurt
- Lots of tobblerone = 2 triangles for each cupcake you’re baking + more for topping. You can do the math coz I stopped counting in between all the snacking
For the ganache topping
- 18 -24 triangles of Tobblerone to melt + 1 to top each of your cupcakes.
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Sprinkles for decorating
Preparation (For the cakes)
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Line 2 muffin tins (12 count each) with cupcake liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar together using an electric mixer till light and pale.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add the baking powder, flour, cocoa & salt and gently fold in using a spatula. Add the milk and yogurt at intervals while you fold it in.
- Place 2 triangles of Tobblerone in each cupcake cavity.
- Top them all with the batter, almost to the rim.
- Bake for 20-22 mins. Remove and let them cool on a wire rack. (They will have runny centers at this point but don’t panic!)
Preparation ( for the ganache)
- Warm the heavy cream till it starts steaming but do not boil.
- Take it off the heat.
- Add the chocolate chips and tobblerone to it and whisk it till the chocolate melts and it all comes together. (Resist the temptation at this point)
- Refrigerate for about 30 minutes to an hour till it thickens and cools down. Then whip it up some more.
- Using a spatula, spread the ganache on top of the cooled down mini cakes.
- Scatter sime sprinkles on them
- Finally top them each with a tobblerone triangle.
- Don’t wait any longer, and say a quick happy birthday to me and dig in!
Products and places 👇🏼