Coconut Chicken Curry (Instant Pot)
Okay, let’s get one thing straight. This ain’t no butter chicken but it’s definitely better chicken. It’s delicious, easy, quick and a whole lot healthier. It’s the kind of chicken recipe you need when you have a 6 year old who thinks you’re some sort of a genie who can just blink some dinner into existence at the shortest notice. Well it’s not exactly as easy as blinking but it comes pretty close if you have an Instant Pot.
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp each of mustard & cumin seeds
- 1/2 red onion (large), chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped ginger
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 8 chicken drumsticks, skinless
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp sambhar masala (optional)
- 1-2 tsp cayenne powder (optional)
- 1 (8oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14oz) can lite coconut milk
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Instant Pot on the sauté mode, heat the oil and fry the seeds, onions, garlic & ginger.
- Add the chicken and sauté till they turn golden brown.
- Add the spices and seasoning.
- Add the tomato sauce and coconut milk.
- Stir and close the lid while sealing.
- Turn the Instant Pot on Manual mode and cook for 5 minutes.
- Let the pressure release naturally.
- Simmer for a couple minutes on sauté mode so the curry thickens.
- Add the cilantro and it’s ready to go!