Bulgur “Nasi Goreng”
So apparently my metabolism is slowing further down thanks to the chilly weather. Like being in your 30s can’t handle that job alone! Fortunately kick-starting that metabolism isn’t rocket science. Nor is eating healthy! When there’s a will (and an Instant Pot) there’s always a way!
Recently, I picked up a bag of red bulgur from Whole Foods and immediately started to think about a bunch of white rice dishes I’ve been avoiding lately (mind works in mysterious ways) Nasi Goreng turned up at the top of that list. So here’s a veryhealthy & non-authentic-improvised-Manhattan-pantry version of Nasi-Goreng that can be ready in under 15 minutes and is definitely drool-worthy.
- 1 tbsp oil (I love sesame oil for any Asian inspired recipe)
- 2 spring onions, sliced + extra for garnish
- 2 cups mixed veggies (broccoli+cauliflower+carrots)
- 1/8 cup soy sauce + 1/8 cup brown sugar
- 3-4 tbsp sriracha (or sambal if you have some)
- 2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 2 tbsp peanut butter powder (or peanut butter mixed in the soy sauce for easy mixing)
- 1 cup red bulgur, washed & drained (did not soak)
- 2 cups water
- Salt to taste (don’t forget the soy you added)
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 egg, sunny side up as accompaniment (avoid if you’re vegan)
- Turn the Instant Pot on Sauté mode and heat the oil. Sauté the onions & vegetables for a couple minutes.
- Add the soy, sugar, sriracha, ginger-garlic and peanut butter and mix.
- Add the bulgur and water. Adjust the salt.
- Close the lid and turn it on Manual. Cook for 4 minutes while sealing and let the pressure release naturally.
- Fluff it up using a fork and mix in the cilantro.
- Serve with the half-fried egg on top. (I like mine over-easy)
One thought on “Fast & the Fabulous ”
Hope you are drinking cold water then during the cold to boost your metabolism.