Masala Omelette Grilled Cheese
About a month ago, I asked a bunch of my near an dear ones to help me list a few classic recipes that would be fun to makeover, the good karma way! I got a long list of challenges ahead of me, but one particular dish stood out for obvious reasons. A classic grilled cheese sandwich! Everyone loves it and everyone has their very own version of it. Unfortunately I never had one of my own, so seemed like an appropriate place to start.
I’m not much of a carboholic so first thing I did was upped the protein content. Then I added a lot of desi tadka because in case you haven’t figured it out yet, that’s what I do. Hope you enjoy this healthy (er) version of the classic that you could probably enjoy for breakfast, brunch, lunch, snack or dinner!
- 2 Large eggs
- 2 tbsp chopped onions
- 2 tbsp chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro
- Chopped green chili according to taste
- 1 tsp each of paprika & cumin powder
- Sat & pepper to taste
- 2 slices whole wheat/ multigrain bread
- Butter to spread + butter to pan fry
- Green coriander chutney (optional)
- Oil to pan fry
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup Cheese of ur choice ( I used an Italian blend by Kraft)
- Crack the eggs in a mixing bowl. Whisk in the onions, tomatoes, ginger, cilantro, chilies, spices & seasoning.
- Cut off the crusts from the bread slices. Spread some butter and chutney. Add the cheese on top of a slice and sandwich it with the other slice and set aside.
- Heat some oil and butter in a frying pan.
- Add the eggs and spread it out to form a large, thin omelette.
- While it’s still mostly liquid, place the sandwich down in the middle.
- Once the edges of the omelette start to come lose, start wrapping them around the sandwich to make a nice package. (Don’t stress if it’s not a perfect fit, no one cares.)
- Flip it over and let it brown on the other side.
- Slice and serve hot with ketchup & chutney!