Oats, Kale & Mungdal Dosa With Avocado, Jalapeño & peanut chutney
What’s the first thing that you eat when you’re back home from a long vacation in a country far far away? On the flight back home from Italy I literally dreamt of “dal chawal” (Indian lentils and rice) ! And papad, I vividly remember dreaming of truck loads of papad! Of course, I made it happen too. The yellow dal that I finally made, had lots of “extra” tadka and my kitchen overall had “extra” Indian food for that entire week until I got a not-so-subtle hint from my family to give it a rest.
This dosa is a love child of my extreme desire for Indian khana & of my extreme need to address the holiday weight I’ve been ignoring since Italy 🇮🇹! So nutritious & healthy!! Also so delicious that you’ll never be able to tell that it’s healthy!
Ingredients (for dosa batter)
- 2 cups soaked mung dal* (green split lentils)
- 2 cups Old fashioned rolled oats (soaked for about 5 mins and drained)
- 2 cups chopped fresh kale (stalks removed)
- 1-2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida (optional)
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- Water to grind
*after soaking for about 6-8 hours, the mung dal more than doubles up in volume, so soak accordingly.
Preparation (for the dosa batter)
- Add the first three ingredients in an electric grinder and blend adding as little water as possible since these ingredients are well hydrated to begin with.
- I used a ninja mixer and got a fairly fine & smooth paste and did it in 3 small batches. (Think crepe batter, slightly runnier than pancake batter)
- Add the ginger-garlic paste, turmeric & cumin powders and salt.
Ingredients & Utencils (for making Dosa)
- Dosa/ crepe pan / flat bottomed non-stick large pan
- Ladle or a steel cup to spread the batter
- Prepared batter
- Butter to spread
- Heat the pan/ griddle.
- Once really hot, turn the flame to low and spread out the batter in a thin circle using a ladle.
- Spread some butter on it using a metal spatula.
- Turn on high till it starts to brown .
- Roll it up using the spatula and serve.
Or (and I highly recommend)
- Once you got all of the above ready, all you need to do is watch a dosa making YouTube video and go for it!
- Serve with the Avocado & peanut chutney.
Ingredients (for the chutney)
- 1 avocado: pitted and scooped
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2- 1 jalapeño
- 1/4 cup peanuts
- 1-2 tbsp chipotle chili powder/ taco seasoning
- Salt n pepper to taste
- Lime juice to taste
- Water to adjust the consistency
Preparation (for the chutney)
- Blend all the ingredients together using just enough water to get a thick non-runny chutney. (Think ketchup)
- I would save the salt & lime for the end, so you can adjust the consistency without stress!
2 thoughts on “The Lean Green Life! ”
Ok, this comment isn’t related to the post at all. Nonetheless, I made a new friend out of a colleague whom I fondly refer to as Karam which is short for their long name. And I would be lying if I tell I don’t remember your son at times on telling the name 😅 Life is strange 🙂
That’s sweet! Thank you for thinking of my little one. He’s definitely getting popular 😊