Blackberry & Apple Crumble (Extremely Healthy & Wholesome Kind)
Believe it or not, I blame this post on Peppa the very opinionated Pig! But let’s face it, if you have a child born somewhere in this past decade, Peppa is responsible for a lot that goes on in that house of yours.
Yesterday, my even more opinionated child Karm, who’s mostly all about chocolate & strawberries and doesn’t think beyond icecream when dessert is concerned, decided that if Granny pig could make a blackberry & Apple Crumble, so could his mommy. No questions asked!
While I’m always up for a challenge, 70 percent (I said I like throwing numbers around) of the food that gets made in my kitchen, makes it to my waistline and if I’m going to make a Crumble, it’s going to have be nice to me!
So if you like a good summer pie, this version of mine is probably the healthiest and the most wholesome one you’re going to find out there. Trust me, if my personal little Georgy pig approves it, so will you (And your’s)!
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 3/4 cup almond meal
- 1/8 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 apple: skinned, cored and cubed
- 1 cup Blackberries
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/8 cup honey
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder Filling
- Mix the Oats and almond meal in a bowl and set aside.
- Mix coconut oil, maple syrup and cinnamon powder in a saucepan and warm through on the stove.
- Add the oil mixture to the dry mixture and set aside while you prepare the filling.
- In a large saucepan, mix the fruits, maple syrup, honey and cinnamon powder.
- Add enough water to cover the surface and cook till the fruits are soft and the mixture looks semi-dry and syrupy.
Assembly (I made four personal size portions in 4 tiny cocottes but you can make it in one large container if that’s more convenient)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
- In any ovenproof container, first spoon in the fruit mixture. (Divide equally if using more than one container.)
- Top that with the oats mixture. (Divide equally if using more containers)
- Bake in the oven for about 25-30 minutes till the top is golden brown.
- Serve hot or cold with some vanilla ice cream or whipped cream for the little ones or just as is if you’re concerned about those last few stubborn lbs!
P.S. I think it makes a very healthybreakfast.
Products and places 👇🏼