Red Velvet(ish) Mousse
Too many cocktails, not enough desserts! I would have noticed this unfairness on my blog earlier but here’s how my personal food chain works👇🏼
- Spicy food
- Spicy Indian food
- Other foods
Sometimes I forget to give dessert a fair chance. Well, my addiction to chocolate (back in the day) never gave me a fair chance either! But I’ve decided to be a bit of a daredevil for you by officially unlocking my sugar cabinet. (And working out for 2 hours straight)
Here’s a question I’ve probably asked every single person I’ve ever met. Cheese or Chocolate?? Hypothetically if one of them had to disappear from the face of the earth, which one would you save? Whatever your answer might be, this particular recipe is about to make you happy! But one piece of advice along with this decadent RedVelvet(ish) Mousse, Eat responsibly!!
- 6 oz semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1 oz package of red food coloring
- 3 egg whites
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1/3 cup fine sugar
- Sprinkles for garnish (optional)
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave (In a microphone safe bowl) using 20 second bursts (do not try a short cut, because it will be an epic fail.) Also make sure, there’s no moisture in the bowl or the chocolate will be a giant lumpy mess. Once melted, let it cool. Then add 1/4 cup cream to it and mix till it’s all smoothly incorporated.
- Whip the remaining 3/4 cups of chilled cream mixed with the red food coloring, till soft peaks form.
- Slowly fold in the melted chocolate into the whipped cream.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites till fluffy and solid and then gently fold them into the chocolate & cream mixture. Let it chill in the refrigerator while you work on the frosting.
- Beat the cream cheese and sugar till fluffy and smooth like frosting.
- Spoon the red velvet mousse in serving bowls/glasses.
- Use a piping bag to top them off with the cream cheese frosting. Garnish with sprinkles and serve chilled.
Some products and places 👇🏼