Harissa & Haloumi Cheese Dosa
I do love a simple plain Dosa in all its natural glory but sometimes it’s like handing a blank canvas to an eccentric artist and saying “try not ruining it with ur art”! That probably is more of a fact and less of a metaphor in this case.
So while there are a billion varieties of “off-beat” Dosas already making their mark around the globe (fine! I like throwing numbers out there without any realresearch whatsoever but my blog, my rules), here’s a list of my favorite few. (And I’d love to take a look at your list of favorites too. That kind of rhymes!) Followed by a recipe of my very own Harissa & Haloumi Cheese Dosa.
Grish’s top 5 must try Dosas :
- White truffle Masala Dosa : Dosa San Francisco
- Lamb Keema Dosai : Anjappar NYC
- Milagaipodi Dosa : Sarvana Bhavan NYC
- Mysore Masala Dosa : Outside Sophia Polytechnic, Breach Candy, Mumbai (not sure if it still exists but I dream of it from time to time)
- Bhaji Dosa: Shiv Sagar, Kemps Corner, Mumbai
If you haven’t already tried some of these, look them up 👆🏼, trust me & go give them a try. But before you do that, try giving my recipe a go because let’s get real, going to your kitchen is a lot more convenient.
Ingredients (makes about 2 small)
- Dosa batter : 1 cup (unless you’re lucky enough to find some homemade batter, feel free to use the store bought kind. I did.)
- Butter : 2 tbsp
- Harissa sauce* : 3-4 tbsp
- Haloumi Cheese :4 oz, sliced
*My shortcut to Harissa sauce : mix 2 tbsp tomato paste, 2 tbsp red chili-garlic paste and 2 tbsp water in a small saucepan and warm through. Season with salt, a tsp of paprika, a pinch of cumin powder and a dash of lime juice. Add a dollop of butter to make it rich.
- Heat the Dosa pan and spread out a ladle full of batter in a circle very evenly. ( 2 words: YouTube & Practice)
- Spread a tbsp of butter with a spatula once the batter starts to dry.
- Add about 1 or 2 tbsp of the Harissa sauce and spread with the spatula.
- Spread out the sliced Haloumi Cheese down the middle.
- Once the Dosa starts to turn golden brown, roll the Dosa and serve with your choice of sauce /chutney!
Some products and places 👇🏼